Recipes for all manner of Indian food

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Steamed Rice (Without a Pressure Cooker)

If you don't have a pressure cooker, not to worry. You can still make fluffy, white steamed rice. I must thank my husband for this one.

For the best consistency, use the sona masuri rice from the Indian store. For those in the US, unless you prefer sticky rice, I highly recommend that you do not buy the Thai jasmine rice.

Ingredients:

  1. 1 cup rice; and
  2. 3 cups water.
Duh!

Method:
  1. Wash the rice until the water runs clear;
  2. Use a vessel large enough to hold the cooked quantity of rice (preferably thick bottomed);
  3. Once the rice is washed, measure out the required amount of water;
  4. Place the vessel (do not close the top) on the stove with the flame at the lowest setting;
  5. Do not stir;
  6. The rice is done when you hear a mild crackling sound (the sound of the last few drops of water evaporating);
  7. Now close the top and allow the rice to sit for a few minutes.
The first few times I implore you to stay near the stove so you can watch the rice. As you can imagine, it's very easy to burn the rice this way.

5 Comments:

Blogger Yamini Kaur said...

Hi Sujatha,

I have made rice in an open pan a number of times, but I used to just wait for the rice to cook and throw away the extra water. Then I read this recipe of yours and tried it out.. never expecting to hear the crackling sound you mentioned... but I did :) Only my daughter has rice for lunch daily, and I make the small quantity in an open pan, and listen for the crackling sound.. and it is perfect :) Thanks for this priceless tip.

Yamini

1:33 AM

 
Blogger ANX said...

Thanks a lot, these tips and how tos make our, the unmarried lot who have to cook on their own, lives easier.
Worked perfectly

2:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Followed it to the T.And it worked perfectly..
Thank you!

11:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a perfect tip. I have seen my mom making with same procedure but I didn't knew for how much time I have to cook. With your tip I made it for first time and it was so perfect and delicious. Thank You very much!

Foodie Shardul

11:07 AM

 
Blogger eureka chem said...

Thank you for sharing this. This is really an awesome Blog. Online south indian grocery

10:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home