Recipes for all manner of Indian food

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Steamed Rice (Without a Pressure Cooker)

If you don't have a pressure cooker, not to worry. You can still make fluffy, white steamed rice. I must thank my husband for this one.

For the best consistency, use the sona masuri rice from the Indian store. For those in the US, unless you prefer sticky rice, I highly recommend that you do not buy the Thai jasmine rice.

Ingredients:

  1. 1 cup rice; and
  2. 3 cups water.
Duh!

Method:
  1. Wash the rice until the water runs clear;
  2. Use a vessel large enough to hold the cooked quantity of rice (preferably thick bottomed);
  3. Once the rice is washed, measure out the required amount of water;
  4. Place the vessel (do not close the top) on the stove with the flame at the lowest setting;
  5. Do not stir;
  6. The rice is done when you hear a mild crackling sound (the sound of the last few drops of water evaporating);
  7. Now close the top and allow the rice to sit for a few minutes.
The first few times I implore you to stay near the stove so you can watch the rice. As you can imagine, it's very easy to burn the rice this way.

7 Comments:

Blogger Yamini Kaur said...

Hi Sujatha,

I have made rice in an open pan a number of times, but I used to just wait for the rice to cook and throw away the extra water. Then I read this recipe of yours and tried it out.. never expecting to hear the crackling sound you mentioned... but I did :) Only my daughter has rice for lunch daily, and I make the small quantity in an open pan, and listen for the crackling sound.. and it is perfect :) Thanks for this priceless tip.

Yamini

1:33 AM

 
Blogger ANX said...

Thanks a lot, these tips and how tos make our, the unmarried lot who have to cook on their own, lives easier.
Worked perfectly

2:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Followed it to the T.And it worked perfectly..
Thank you!

11:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a perfect tip. I have seen my mom making with same procedure but I didn't knew for how much time I have to cook. With your tip I made it for first time and it was so perfect and delicious. Thank You very much!

Foodie Shardul

11:07 AM

 
Blogger Tanisha Singh said...

Thanks, this year you get lot of opportunity and share more foodie blog and its recipe.restaurant in satya niketan delhi

12:05 AM

 
Blogger interview hr said...

WARNING!

There’s JUST ONE REASON you might fail on the Paleo Diet and it has everything to do with your ability to make delicious food, FAST.

But now, with this stunningly simple cookbook I’ll show you how to cook savory, mouth-watering meals in minutes for some of the busiest Paleo eaters in the world...

For more info please click on the following link: How To Cooking

Talk soon.

6:57 PM

 
Blogger Sumit Sinha said...

Nice Information.

I am using united 5 litter pressure cooker . united is one of the most popular brand for cookware in India and some other countries .all cookware from united are isi certified and highly tested and trusted products.

Get more details about pressure cooker india

10:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home